All the Hendy boys

All the Hendy boys

Sunday, October 5, 2008

Autumn apples

I love this time of year. It is without a doubt my favorite. I love the changing colors. I love the clean, cool, crispness in the air as the temperature slowly starts to drop. And even though I need to dig out the sweaters, coats, hats, and mittens, I know that soon our house will be draped in warm colored decorations and the sweet aroma of baking apples and roasting pumpkin seeds will be wafting through the kitchen. Speaking of those baking apples and pumpkin seeds, today was our annual trip to the Hope apple orchard to pick apples with Yaya and Papa. Because it was such a beautiful day and because we knew they had never been, we decided to combine our plans with a trip to the Cellardoor winery and the Miller Farm pumpkin patch. We started the morning at the orchard - picking over 21 pounds of apples (and eating about as many pounds while we picked.) Wesley was so proud of his own bag that he picked and Preston was just as content to eat his way from tree to tree. I was excited to pick different varieties to try in apple crisp and apple pie. The apples were so beautiful and the trees had started changing colors giving a portrait-like backdrop to the orchard. We enjoyed wine-tasting at the winery (at least the adults did) and had a great afternoon at the Miller farm. The boys fed Champ, the horse, we took our hayride around the farm, and even made it into the patch to pick a couple small pumpkins. We didn't need any big ones having grown a bunch in our own backyard. We finished off the day at the Whales Tooth Pub, where Papa treated us to a belated "anniversary" dinner. It was a great day.

No comments: