All the Hendy boys

All the Hendy boys

Friday, August 1, 2008

Cornerspring Day Camp

Busy, busy, busy, and still keeping busy. Wesley attended his first ever day camp at his school this past week. It was full day, Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, which was a big deal for me. This is the first time for both of us that he was away for an entire day. Even though he won't be going to kindergarten this fall, we still opted that he go one full day a week to pre-school so that he would gradually adjust to an all-day school life (even if I do decide to homeschool) rather than be thrust into it without any preparation. I thought summer camp would be good for him because it would give him a taste of what his school year would be like (or at least, Wednesdays.) I'm happy to report that he loved it. In fact, I think he was a little disappointed that the day went by so quickly. Granted, they were having a lot of fun, making art projects, swimming in the kiddie pool (with slide,) running through the sprinkler, and playing on the playground, but I still think that he'll enjoy that one full day a week. The highlight of the week (the theme being Maine Coast Tidepools and Marine life) was their field trip on Friday on a lobster boat. The kids loved it. Unfortunately, they got caught in some wet weather, and even though the boat was covered, many of the kids, my son included, came back soaked. I fully understand now, why we were asked to pack a change of clothes. The whole way home, he twittered on about all that he saw when they pulled up some traps . . . a lobster, lots of crabs, some dead fish heads (the bait,) starfish, and even 2 seals (not in the traps, of course.) I know there was more, but for the life of me, I can't remember what. You'll just have to ask Wesley. It was definitely a worthwhile experience and I'm sure we'll do it again next year.

No comments: