All the Hendy boys

All the Hendy boys

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Green House + #9 Rules

You know that a friend is special when you can go weeks, months, sometimes even years without talking, but the minute you get together it's like no time has passed. Now multiply that by 6, add in 5 husbands, one boyfriend, and 11 kids and that is how we spent this past weekend. During my senior year of college at Elmira, 8 of us girls had the privilege of living together in a house on campus, affectionately known as the Green House (aptly named because of its color.) Unfortunately there was "technically" only room for eight of us, but another of our best friends, Shannon, spent a good portion of her time with us at the house, and so we made her honorary
member #9. It was like our own little twisted pseudo-sorority (which we did not have on
campus) and most of my best college memories involve at least one, if not all of these girls. Now fast forward 11 (gulp) years and 7 of us are married, 6 of us have kids, 8 of us own our own homes, and 1 is a big movie producer working on a major movie (that is going to be a big hit . . . more on that in a later blog . . . free publicity, Ang.) And even though we all have our own separate lives, I still feel a bond with these girls that can bridge any distance, transcend any argument, fill me with such a feeling of love and acceptance, and stand the test of time. I'm so grateful for these women.

This past weekend, we had our second annual (even though we skipped a year . . . which will NEVER happen again) Green House reunion. We were fortunate enough to receive an invitation to Tracy's (obviously, one of my roommates) husband's parent's home in Connecticut (did I lose you yet?) They have a beautiful house on a lake, a perfect location for what whe had in mind. Their property had a sandy beach, motor boat, 2 jet skis, waterskis, knee board, tube, lifejackets, and tons of beach toys for the little ones. We all pitched in for food and fixings. And the place even had its own transportation, a golf cart used to transport all our stuff (and you have to imagine with all the families, there was a lot of stuff) up and down the huge hill. It was amazing. The day was perfect. We couldn't have asked for better weather. We started early at 10 am and I know we didn't leave until approximately 9:30 that night, so it was a full day and my boys were whooped. I honestly can't remember having that much fun in a long time. Even if we are at home having fun, there is always that pull of housework, business work, or some other project tugging at my sub-conscious and I never fully let go. While at the reunion, however, I felt like a kid again. We were having a blast with the kids. The husbands loved the jet skis (and I can't say that I didn't as well) and the boating. And I even waterskiied on one ski, something I haven't done in years. My only complaints about the whole weekend were that not all Green House grads were in attendance (Alissa and Melody, you and your families were missed) and that it didn't last longer, which I hope we can rectify next year. Thanks Nancy and Bob Zannotti for the great place; thanks Tony for suggesting it; and thanks, girls, for a fantastic weekend. Miss you guys already.

No comments: