All the Hendy boys

All the Hendy boys

Thursday, July 17, 2008

Just like a fish

It was probably the best $43.00 I've spent in a while. We signed up Wesley for several programs this summer, one of them being a 2-week summer session of swim lessons. Unlike the rest of the year where you have a swim class once a week, the summer sessions are everyday, 4 days a week, for two weeks. It's still a total of 8 classes, but they are jam packed into two weeks, so there is more immersion and more progression. At least, that is what I was told when I signed him up. However, after 2 weeks, I can emphatically confirm that that is true. Fortunately no one else signed up for the 9 am swim class, so Wesley was on his own. And it just so happens that his instructor was the aquatics director, AND Wesley's favorite teacher, Jason. Can you believe the luck - private swim lessons with the aquatics director for only $43.00. What a blessing! Wesley had been doing well adjusting to the water in his first two sessions of swim lessons, but during these two weeks, our little guy has become quite the fish. He can swim the whole length of the pool without any flotation, he's jumping off the side unassisted, and he LOVES going under water. Jason even started him on the breast stroke (which isn't something they do for another 2 levels) and couldn't believe his "frog kicks." Maybe we have a little Olympic swimmer in the making. I just hope we are as lucky the next time around . . . Wesley has now elevated to the level of Eel!

Unfortunately, the day I filmed Wesley swimming, Jason was out with an ear infection - but he still did really well with Jason's sub, Tammy.





No comments: