All the Hendy boys

All the Hendy boys

Saturday, June 28, 2008

Sweet Strawberries

It's something that I've wanted to do for years, but every year we always seem to miss it. I'm writing about that wonderful period at the end of June and beginning of July when you can pick your own strawberries. We eat a lot of strawberries at our house. Preston is a picky eater, but he never passes up strawberries (or as he calls all berries, "booberreeez") and because of that, I always have some in the fridge. With prices rising on groceries, it stings every time I put a pound or more of strawberries in my basket, especially the organic ones with the hefty $4.00 price tag (and they go so fast.) But this year I was determined to get down and dirty on the farm . . . so I bent the ears of some of my local mom friends and got some great info about an organic strawberry farm not that far from us (about 35 minute drive, well worth it.) We picked and overcast Saturday morning, knowing that it would be much more pleasant picking without the sun's intense heat. It was just me with the two boys and a friend of Wesley's, so I had my hands full, but overall they were very good and I think they even managed to put some of the strawberries in our baskets and not all of them in their mouths. The location was beautiful, the strawberries were perfect (plump, juicy, delicious,) and the best part - these organic strawberries were $1.89 per pound (WHAT!!!) I can't believe I only picked 6 1/2 pounds. I'll definitely be doubling that (or more) next year.


1 comment:

Sandy said...

Oh the sweet memories of picking berries with my family...mmmmm!!!