All the Hendy boys

All the Hendy boys

Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Let them Fall

Time flies when you are having fun, right? Isn't that what people say? Of course, often I'm too busy attending to the day to day errands, house cleaning, and child rearing that "fun" is hard to fit in and yet, the time still flies. In just over a month my baby boy will be turning one, my oldest is 4 going on 34, and there are only 82 days until Christmas. It saddens me to think that I'm not stopping often enough to enjoy the little things, to just get down on the floor and play with my kids. I feel like I'm missing so much. So, today, I made a point of looking past all the housecleaning and errands demanding my attention and instead got outside with my boys to enjoy the gorgeous Autumn days that God has been granting us lately. We don't have many trees that drop leaves in our backyard, but Wesley and I were able to rake together a pile large enough to jump in and then the three of us spent the better part of the afternoon playing in the leaves. It felt so liberating to be so silly. We ran at full speed to jump in the leaves. We threw the leaves high into the air and let them fall around us. We buried one another in the leaves until only our faces showed. And we had more fun than we, or at least I, have had in a long time. We got very itchy and were pulling leaves out of our hair for several hours later, but it was all worth it. I got to spend such a wonderful afternoon with two of my favorite people. Preston wasn't sure what to make of all the falling leaves, but he did eventually catch on to what Wesley and I were doing and start joining in. He'd pick up two leaves and shortly after Wesley and I threw ours into the air he would throw his. I feel so blessed to have had such a wonderful day with my boys.

No comments: