All the Hendy boys
Wednesday, October 24, 2007
I Love School
Tonight was Parent Night at Wesley's school and I was lucky enough to snag a babysitter so I could attend. Steve is still out of town and won't be back until this weekend, so I had to attend solo, but I'm so glad that I went. Let me just start out by saying I LOVE THIS SCHOOL. After all the deliberating I did over the summer about Wesley going off to school, I could not be more pleased with our choice. They started the evening with a slide show of all the kids through a typical day of school. They explained how the day progresses, the activities they participate in (the Montessori school calls them "works",) and what is expected from the child throughout their day. Then we all split up into the two classrooms - Wesley is in the Chickadee class - and his teacher's Monique and Deb went through morning circle (explaining all the songs, teachings, etc.) and then encouraged us to explore the classroom trying out many of the different "works" available. It was fun for me searching for the "works" Wesley describes to me at home, such as the "pumpkin game" and the "butterfly puzzle." I had many "aha" moments that night as I remembered little things from our after school talks. I've learned to ask specific questions of Wesley, so instead of answers like "I don't know" or "I don't remember" when asked what he did at school, I would get cryptic answers regarding things specific to the classroom. That night, many of those little mysteries were answered for me. They finished the evening with a slideshow to music and it really was wonderful. I feel so blessed to have found this school. We didn't get to see any type of work or art folder because that is not what they stress in the Montessori education. Instead, they are developing a love of learning, a independence to practical living, and a self confidence in the slow mastering of specific tasks through gradual steps. It is such a wonderful place with a wonderful staff and I know that it was the perfect fit for Wesley. Oh, and by the way, he hasn't had a teary moment in weeks. He says goodbye with a smile on his face and greets us the same way after school. He really loves his school.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment