All the Hendy boys

All the Hendy boys

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Playing House

Do you ever have those days as a mom (or even a wife) where you wake up and feel like you're playing house? It's sometimes surreal to me to think that I could possibly be married almost 10 years and the mother of two young boys. I know it is cliche to say how quickly time flies, but it really has. It is never more apparent to me than when when of the boys has a birthday - like today! Today is Wesley's 6th birthday. I just spent a couple minutes watching him sleep before I came down for breakfast. Every year on his birthday we look through his baby photo album and get to relive the day he was born. Despite the pain of labor, it was such an important day. It was the day I became a mom for the first time and the memories are still so vivid. I can still see the sunrise as we rode to the hospital the morning before; I can still feel the anxiety and excitement I felt knowing that in a short time my life would be completely tranformed; and I can remember my time in the delivery room (though thankfully I've repressed the pain of the actual labor & birth.) But I digress - this is Wesley's day and the time of year when I get to brag about my first born. So here goes . . .

Wesley has grown leaps and bounds this last year, quite literally. I actually started finding that his pants were too short. He has moved from toddler to boys in both clothes and personality, though sometimes it seems like we already have a teenager in the house. He's still very social and loves performing. He's actually quite the little dancer and loves coming up with new moves. He still loves all things dinosaur and still has a love of animals, but has developed a new interest in the High School Musical trilogy. You can often hear him singing tunes from any of the three movies and trying out his new dance moves while wearing his Wildcat basketball uniform. He's been showing interest in reading and school, so we are gearing up for our first year of homeschooling. He's a really great big brother (most of the time) and loves getting together with friends or family. He's smart, compassionate, and funny. And I love that even at the age of 6 he still likes to snuggle with his Mom from time to time (especially when we are reading together before bed.) Happy Birthday, Bear! We love you!


No comments: