All the Hendy boys

All the Hendy boys

Saturday, August 8, 2009

Father-Son Bonding

I wish I could write this blog entry firsthand, but all the information that I'm sharing here I got after the fact. This weekend, Steve surprised Wesley with a father-son camping trip out on Warren Island with some of the other dads in his men's group. Warren Island is part of the state park system, located just off of Islesboro. You can only get there by boat, there are only 7 reserved sites, a couple walk-in sites, and a group camping area, and the island is kept friendly and inviting with hanging plants on each outhouse and debris free trails tended to by an attentive ranger named, Sunshine. Wesley and Steve took the 4 pm ferry out to the island and came back the next day on the 4:30 ferry from Islesboro. Preston and I joined the campers on the island for a couple hours on Sunday, but until that time the rest of their island trip is somewhat of a mystery. I can only go by what Wesley shared and the pictures that they took. I do know that is was a special time for Wesley and he felt so proud that he was "big" enough to do this alone with dad. They hiked, caught crabs in a bucket, looked for birds and explored the island. We got a small taste of what the island had to offer and I can't wait to get out their next summer - as a family.





No comments: