All the Hendy boys

All the Hendy boys

Saturday, April 18, 2009

Language Explosion

I know several posts back I created a Preston-ese dictionary for translation of our littlest talker's vocabulary. Fast forward just a few months and the "dictionary" already needs its first edit. We've been experiencing a huge language explosion in our 2 year old boy. He's been stringing 2, 3, 4 and more words together to form his own primitive style sentences. For example, you might hear something like, "bubba go side car me too" otherwise translated, "Bubba (Wesley) is going outside in the car with me." It can still be a challenge making heads or tails of his blossoming diction, but he's become quite the little chatterbox and it is so much fun watching him put expression into each of his words (even if you can't understand him.) We're usually very good about repeating his words back to him with the proper grammar and pronunciation, but as cute as his sweet little voice sounds, there are a few favorite words or expressions I'm not yet ready to correct. And here they are -

mooch = kiss
nuggle = to snuggle (as in when he rolls over in the morning and looks at you with those big brown eyes)
cockcorn = popcorn
meemals = animals
di-no-no = dinosaur
junny = funny
dop = stop (like when I try to dance to the Diego theme song with him and he puts his hand up to me and says, "No, dop")
Favorite expression - "oh, wow, coooool!"
And just about everything that we say these days is answered with a very enthusiastic "me, too." I know that I'm missing a few because this is just such a fun age and I don't want to forget one minute of it. (Well, maybe the screaming fights with his brother I wouldn't mind forgetting.)

No comments: