All the Hendy boys

All the Hendy boys

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

We Honor Them

Happy Memorial Day, everyone! Today is a day to honor the men and women of the United States, both past and present, who've given of themselves in service to our country. When my first child was born, I knew at that very moment that I would gladly give my own life for his. That feeling grew with the birth of my second child. I have such intense love for them and my husband that I wouldn't hesitate to sacrifice myself to save any one of them. The men and women in the service make that same choice for me every day. They are complete strangers, and yet, they have left their loved ones to protect me and my family. I will never fully comprehend that sacrifice and I will never ever be able to thank them enough. The best way I know to honor them is to practice the very freedoms they are working so hard to protect. It is to remember them every night in my prayers - I might not know them by name, but God is all-knowing. It is to respect the red, white, and blue of our nation's flag and to wave it proudly. It is to teach my sons about the history of this great nation and why Democracy is so important. It is to exercise my voice and my right to vote in any and all elections. And it is to simply say thank you whenever possible, in any way possible to the men and women who serve our country. Steve's cousin, Sandy (she has told me that we are cousins, too - I'm honored, Sandy) has been involved in a cause called Cards for Heroes. She, along with MANY others have been making homemade cards to send overseas to our troops, so that they, in turn, can send them home to loved ones. Her noble pursuit has inspired me to start making cards (whenever I have free time) and I hope that in the very near future, I can send a shipment myself (along with a heartfelt letter of thanks - to Any Soldier who might need a letter of support.) If you'd like to learn more, you can check out their site at www.cardsforheroes.org. What a cool way to say thank you for these brave men & women who've given so much of themselves, asking nothing in return. We might not all agree with the War, but that shouldn't stop us from supporting our troops doing whatever they can to bring peace to the world. Thank you all from the bottom of my heart, and God Bless You!

No comments: