All the Hendy boys

All the Hendy boys

Thursday, May 8, 2008

Tea for Two

This is the event I've been anticipating since the beginning of the school year. I'd heard about it from other Montessori moms at the school. It was mentioned in the school literature and on the calendar of events. And I had even read about it in a Montessori magazine handed out at the school. However, what I experienced this morning far surpassed any expectations I had. I'm writing about the Mother's Day Tea, an annual tradition in the Montessori classroom. The children spend weeks preparing, learning proper etiquette for serving tea, learning and rehearsing songs for a special performance, and creating a hand-crafted Mother's Day gift for his/her mom. I can never truly express through my words the joy I felt when I saw the pride in my son's eyes, but I'll do my best to describe my experiences.

The day started as a regular school day, with drop-off, circle time, etc. However, instead of their usual "works," the kids spent the morning helping to prepare the food that was to be served - making cucumber sandwiches and lemon bread and cutting up fresh fruit. The moms arrived for an 11 o'clock tea time, dressed in our best, and were asked to wait outside until we were invited in by our individual child. It was so sweet watching all Wesley's school friends (all dressed-up) coming out to greet their moms one-at-a-time. Wesley greeted me outside and asked me, "would you like to join me for tea?" He then led me to our table (we shared with his friend, Emmit and Emmits' mom, Kristy.) The tables were set with tablecloths, a vase of fresh cut flowers, and fine china. In my tea cup was a small wrapped gift which Wesley instructed me to open. Inside was this beautiful teacup "broche" hand-painted by Wesley. Rolled in a scroll alongside my gift was a typewritten "Mother's Day Survey" that I've included below. When all the moms had been seated and our gifts unwrapped, Monique, Deb, and Melissa (Wesley's teachers) came around and took our drink orders - there were little menu sheets with coffee, tea, or lemonade listed and check boxes next to each. One by one, the teachers escorted each of the children out to help serve their moms and when it was Wesley's turn, he proudly took my cup out to the kitchen and carefully returned with my cup of tea. It was such a small gesture but such a large moment for me and I will never forget it. The food was delicious, the company was engaging, and the kids were all so well-behaved. The tea ended after the kids had treated us to a mini-concert of songs they'd rehearsed for weeks. Of course, I had to record it, so I've included it below. It was such a special day and I'm so happy that Wesley will be going back to Cornerspring next year so that I can experience it all again.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your "tea for two" Mommy Gretchen.

I love the concentration on Wesley's face as he carried your cup
of tea. And how great that the little ones helped make the food.

Everything looked so festive and Wesley looked quite the little
gentleman.

The next time we come for a visit, I'd like to have Wesley serve
me a cup of tea!

Gramma Lorraine from Penna.

Anonymous said...

Sooo adorable!
Nub : )