Transitions
. . . And so it begins! Today was Wesley's first day of school. At Cornerspring, the first week is what they call "Transition week" because they like to transition the new preschoole
rs into the program. So, Wesley will only be going from 10 - 11:30 am. I thought this was a great idea because I was a little nervous about how Wesley would handle this new phase of his life. Would he be sad that I wouldn't be there with him? Would he be scared by all the new faces? Would he have a hard time taking direction from someone other than myself or Steve? Would the new schedule and routine be too much to handle? All these questions and
anxieties flashed in my mind in the days leading up to school. I was still questioning my decision to send him to school. I just wasn't sure he was ready. Ha! I realized at 10:01 that Wesley was ready for it all. Actually it was about 7 am that clinched it for me when Wesley was in my room asking "Is it time to go to school, yet?" What I realized at 10:01 was that the person not ready for this big change was ME? And while standing on the playground with Wesley, his teachers, and the other kids, I also realized that it was quite possible that the transition week wasn't just for the kids, but for the parents as well. Granted, many parents work, so switching from daycare to preschool was not as big of an adjustment. But being a stay-at-home parent, I've been by my boy's side just about 24 hours a day since the day he was born. I've been there for all his ups and downs, for all his new accomplishments and milestones, for all his funny comments and temper tantrums. I've been his advocate, his mentor, and his friend. And now it was time for me to let go. For six hours a week,
somebody else will get to see the triumphs and failures of my little boy. He'll get to learn under somebody else's tutelage. It was a bittersweet moment for me. But as I watched him run over to his friend, Emmit, on the playset after giving me a quick kiss and a hug goodbye, I also realized that Steve and I should give ourselves a little pat on the shoulder for the role we've played these past four years. Our little boy is inquisitive, independent, intelligent, imaginative, compassionate, with a wonderful self-esteem - and he is ready to share that with others.
No comments:
Post a Comment