All the Hendy boys
Friday, August 31, 2007
A Good Decision
Last night Steve and I attended our first parent meeting for school. That's right, I said it . . . school! Granted, it's preschool, so it is only 3 hours a day, 2 days a week. But still, it's school. Besides being worried about the usual mom stuff like washing hands after playing at the playground, being cautious whenever we are around water, and potty training, school has been probably my number one worry. Silly, right? I knew eventually this day would come and when it did, I wanted to make sure that I, or should I say "we," were making the best decision for our little boy. I've been going back and forth from about the day he was born on whether or not I would homeschool. And as the time neared for him to begin this crucial stage of his life, my internal debate escalated. Would I be able to challenge him enough or provide the kind of social element that a child with his personality thrives on. So as his fourth birthday and the imminent enrollment period for preschool approached I really hunkered down, researching all that is offered in the area, so that I could make the best decision possible. Disappointment was all that I found. The preschool choices in Camden, Rockport, and Rockland were either too much like daycare or WAY, WAY, WAY too expensive. This is preschool, not grad school, for crying out loud. This led me to think that the Lord was saying to me, "hey, Gretch, don't worry so much about preschool - just keep doing what you are doing." And for about a week, I was okay with that. Then, one afternoon, while Wesley was on a playdate with his friend, Emmit, at the Belfast playground, Emmit's mom mentioned that she was dropping off Emmit's enrollment packet to the Cornerspring Children's House for their two day preschool program when she left the playground. "Oh, where is that?" was my next question, my curiousity peaked. Come to find out, it is in downtown Belfast (don't know why I never even looked there since that is where I do all my grocery shopping now - only 10 miles away,) it is a Montessori Program (wow - how great!,) and they have a tuition assistance program (which is popular with most parents as it makes the school much more affordable.) This was exactly what I was looking for and it felt like I had just been hit on the head with a great big bat that said "here you go, stupid." Long story, well, not much longer, I called that afternoon to make an appointment to see the school. We sent in our application two days later, and Wesley was accepted. Plus, we got the assistance we asked for, so instead of the $3000+ that all the other schools were asking, we'll be paying far less (and for a Montessori program, no less.) We couldn't have been more thrilled. Of course, this was all my doing, so I wasn't sure how Steve was feeling about it all. I went a little gung ho and didn't give him much time to process it all because I was afraid Wesley would lose his spot. However, after last night's parent's meeting and this morning's Open House with Wesley, where he met his teacher, put his slippers and picture up in his cubby, and found where he'll hang his coat, I can tell that Steve is really pleased. It is just the perfect fit for our family and I know Wesley is really going to thrive in this atmosphere. Phew! Now I have a least a year before I have to decide about Kindergarten.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment