All the Hendy boys
Monday, March 24, 2008
An Eggcellent Weekend
Yes, I know, what a corny title. I think I am in a goofy mood right now. It seems weird to be posting a blog about another holiday so soon after St. Pat
ty'
s Day. Not even 7 whole days have passed since we were sporting the green and now here we are searching for Easter eggs and dealing with massive sugar highs. Decorating was a bit of a challenge this year. I don't remember ever having my St. Patty's Day and Easter decorations out at the same time before. But anyway, that is not important. What is important was what a won
derful Easter we ha
d here at our house this year. Yaya and Papa came early on Saturday so they could be with us to color eggs that afternoon. This year I boiled two dozen eggs, just in case, and I'm glad that I did because the boys had so much fun with this activity. Wesley's eggs have become more and more artistic from year to year, and some of his were my favorite of the bunch . . . so colorful. Preston was very funny. He had no idea what to make of it all at first. But after a while he got the hang of it, and had fun transferring eggs from cup to cup. He doesn't quite have that gentle touch yet, so quite a few of the eggs were cracked when we were done. However, those had some of the coolest designs - especially when you cracked it open to eat it. Every year I also blow the innards out of as
many eggs as there are people celebrating Easter with us (does that make sense.) In other words, I poked holes on each end of an egg and blew (with my mouth) the uncooked whites and yolk out the other hole so w
e could then decorate them to keep. We've been doing that since 2002, and each year we try a different method to decorate. One year we dripped food coloring (like tie dye,) last year we painted, and this year we decoupaged. I love looking at them from year to year and they make great decorations. Steve, unfortunately, had to work all weekend, so he wasn't with us for egg decorating or dinner that night. So, instead, we went to see him. Since we'd be cooking a big meal the next day, we figured it would be easier for all to go out to eat Saturday night (no cooking or dishes, hooray!!!) Steve recently started working at another restaurant (in addition to his Wednesday nights at the Whales Tooth) and the food is sooooooo good. It's too bad that Preston is now at the stage of his life where sitting still for more than 10 minutes is really too much to ask - so dinners out aren't really
that relaxing to m
e. At least I had a little help. As expected, the morning started very early for both my boys. Wesley was very excited to discover that the Easter bunny visited not just our house, but the rental as well (where Yaya and Papa slept.) Wesley cleverly solved the Easter bunnies clues on the hunt for his (and Preston's) Easter baskets. Then, we headed next door where both the boys hunted for their own eggs. Wesley's eggs were purple and blue while Preston's were green and yellow. It was a good thing that that gift giving bunny only put one treat in each egg because the boys finished them off in a matter of minutes. I'm sure you can imagine what all that sugar does to two little boys. Chaos!!! We did manage to make it to Mass, but it was not the peaceful affair I had hoped to experience. It was Preston's nap time and he was just coming off the morning's sugar high . . . not fun! Dinner was much better (especially after his restful two hour nap.) We dined on spiral ham, potatoes, carrots, squash, and egg shaped cupcakes for dessert. The boys treated us to some entertainment with a little post-dinner dance party that had us cracking up. And even though I was incredibly exhausted by the end of it all, it was a Good Day!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment