All the Hendy boys

All the Hendy boys

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Too Quick to Correct

Why are we always so quick to correct our kids? Recently Preston was with a friend of ours and he asked her for a snack - but when Preston says it, it sounds like "nack." This friend made a point of correcting him, working with him until he said the "s." Okay, I know the friend meant well and was trying to correct something that sounds like a speech impediment, but I see as a cute idiosyncracy in the speech of my almost 3 year old (something I'm not so ready to say goodbye to yet.) I relish this stage when Preston is just discovering his conversational skills and uses big words in all the wrong ways. I love that he says things like "what this is?" and calls crocodiles "drocodiles." I love that when he's talking about something that happened yesterday or even a few minutes before he'll say "I did that last year." All too soon he'll be arguing like a lawyer and his speech will have far less "cuteisms" to laugh about, so I'm going to enjoy this "nacktime" and worry about the grammar later.

1 comment:

Dolores A. said...

Hi Gretchen...just found your blog but wondered why there's no news this past year? Too busy, I guess.
But you had a great start on it last year. You'll have to check out the one I started recently...
it does get to be a pain to keep up with news on it.
Hope you all are doing well.
Enjoy your visit with Lorraine and George soon.