I love observing. I'm not incredibly observant, but I love observing life. Does that make sense? I'm not observant in the sense that it can
sometimes take me weeks to notice something new. But I love just hanging back away from things and observing the world go 'round (figuratively, of course.) I, especially, love observing my husband playing with our children. I enjoy doing things altogether as a family, but some days I like to be the observer, sitting back and watching them interact with one another. Kind of like
today. We had a great day. Wesley and I started our morning at Sunday school, then Steve & Preston joined us for Mass. The homily focused on the ten commandments, one being keeping the Sabbath a Holy Day. That one resonances with our family. Sunday is the one day of the week when I prefer Steve not work. It's our family day and it's non-negotiable. Knowing that St. Patty's Day is only 2 days away (and consequently Steve will have to work) we decided to have lunch at Billy's Tavern where we could enjoy some Irish fare and tunes. That wasn't even the best part. The pub had a huge variety of pub games that kept the boys entertained for hours. They had a ches
s board, mini foosball, mini pool table, GIANT Jenga game, large cribbage boards, a game called Shut-the-Box (that I need to get a hold of because it will be a wonderful math resource for our homeschool), and the game of choice . . . a ring on a string that you swung and tried to catch the hook on the wall. Huge hit! Wesley loved it and spent almost the entire time trying to get the ring on the hook. He was really good at it. He actually managed to hook it 4 times
(beating Daddy who "hooked" it 3 times.) After spending a couple hours playing, we drove to the harbor, and this is where I decided to hang back. The boys (all of them) spent the next hour throwing rocks in the water and at icebergs floating by. It was so wonderful just watching the interaction. It's in these moments that I often reflect on the blessings in our lives. We may not have a lot of money. We don't have fancy clothes, a huge house, or impressive vehicles. But we have our priorities right. 'Cuz in the end none of that will matter, but the relationship we have with our children certainly will. And to us, that is what matters most.
No comments:
Post a Comment